Saturday, July 9, 2022

Some things are getting scarce …


Going to the grocery store with my mom during World War Two was often fraught with disappointment at empty spaces in the shelves or at the checkout counter. I say checkout counter because that was the main place where our store displayed candy when it was available. Candy was seldom available because of sugar rationing.


One of the sweetest things in life is kindness and acceptance by friends. Humility in appraising my faults.


Some bitter collateral damage of the war against Covid19 (and variants) is explicit and implicit questioning of my judgment by a small number of my friends when I mask up for indoor gatherings. Never have I met this number of amateur scientists nor critics of public figures who recommend uncomfortable disease precautions.


Please let me declare, I have no particular expertise in medical science. In fact I may be choosing the wrong experts to listen to and follow. 


Still, in masking up I feel I do no one harm and reluctantly accept an unconventional - not to say “odd” - appearance. 


Here is my scientific basis for the practice: I have had only one respiratory infection in more than two years during Covid. And no sign of Covid19. This compares favorably with my customary bronchitis and occasional pneumonia in prior years. 


My experience is my primary “science” for masking up.


Please let me suggest this to critics: humility. It goes down better and makes me a better listener.

 

I know only one person who makes a living in science. He has not expressed an opinion about Covid19 to me. I really appreciate that. I would love to know his opinion, but not as a critic.


*****

“Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom.” James 3:13 (NASB)


No comments:

Post a Comment