Wednesday, August 21, 2019

What can possibly be wrong with pride?

If I hear someone say about me, “He is proud of his achievements,” how tempting it is to for me to consider that a compliment. However, the statement is not a compliment if the person means “He is preoccupied with his achievements and, in his own mind, is the leading person in the drama that is his life.”

In the preceding sentence I paraphrased a statement that author Nathaniel Philbrick made in His book “Valiant Ambition” about the Revolutionary War traitor Benedict Arnold.

Arnold was a very successful American general till pride took him down the road to ruin.

Shall I not ask myself, “Is my pride taking me to a different place?” Scripture says: “Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for ‘God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.’” 1 Peter 5:5 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment