Friday, June 19, 2015

It is wiser to confess, "If perpetuating slavery would have meant a comfortable life for me, I would have gone along with it."

John 16:33 "These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” Jesus Christ

It is long past time for the church of Jesus Christ to pursue complete reconciliation of its people, black and white. Otherwise the people of the troubled world outside the church will have good reason to doubt the authenticity of our faith and of the gospel that Jesus entrusts to us.

Reconciliation involves confession and repentance.

Looking at our American heritage from slavery, and the current reawakening of racial antagonism, I think it is necessary to put aside the defense "I never enslaved anyone." It is wiser to confess, "If perpetuating slavery would have meant a comfortable life for me, I would have gone along with it." We consume goods from other nations that enslave their people. This convinces me that acquiescence to slavery is not dead.

May God grant that in every transaction of my life I shall invest myself in valuing other people, and refrain from justifying walls of separation that devalue them. Then may the gospel of peace flow freely!



No comments:

Post a Comment